Brit Award for Best New Artist
|Brit Award for Best New Artist|
|Awarded for||Achievement in Excellent New Artist|
|Country||United Kingdom (UK)|
|Presented by||British Phonographic Industry (BPI)|
|Currently held by||Arlo Parks (2021)|
The Brit Award for Best New Artist (previously Brit Award for British Breakthrough Act) is an award given by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), an organisation which represents record companies and artists in the United Kingdom. The accolade is presented at the Brit Awards, an annual celebration of British and international music. The winners and nominees are determined by the Brit Awards voting academy with over 1,000 members, which comprise record labels, publishers, managers, agents, media, and previous winners and nominees.
The award was first presented in 1977 as two awards as "British Male Newcomer" and "British Female Newcomer" which were won by Graham Parker and Julie Covington. When the Brit Awards was held for the second time in 1982, the awards "British Male Newcomer" and "British Female Newcomer" became joint as one award for both male and female acts as well introducing groups acts to award. The first award for the joint "British Newcomer" was won by The Human League. In 2003 the award was renamed to "British Breakthrough Act". Mabel is the only person who has been nominated for this award more than once, as she was nominated in both 2019 and 2020. This award has several name changes through a years:
- Brit Award for British Female Newcomer, Brit Award for British Male Newcomer (1977)
- Brit Award for British Newcomer (1982~2002)
- Brit Award for British Breakthrough Act (2003~2019)
- Brit Award for Best New Artist (2020~)
Winners and nominees
|1982||The Human League|
|1985||Frankie Goes to Hollywood|
|1986||Go West||Not Nominated|
|1987||The Housemartins||Not Nominated|
|1988||Wet Wet Wet||Nominated|
|1999||Belle and Sebastian|
|2000||S Club 7|
|2016||Catfish and the Bottlemen|
- Sam Smith (2014), Rag'n'Bone Man (2017) Also Win Brit Award for Rising Star
- Paul Young (1985), Ed Sheeran (2012, 2015), Ben Howard (2013) Also Win Brit Award for British Male Solo Artist
- Lisa Stansfield (1991~1992), Duffy (2009), Dua Lipa (2018, 2021) Also Win Brit Award for British Female Solo Artist
- Oasis (1996), Arctic Monkeys (2007~2008, 2014) Also Win Brit Award for British Group
- Blue (2003), Busted (2004) Also Win Brit Award for British Pop Act
- Sam Smith (2015), Dua Lipa (2019) Also Win Grammy Award for Best New Artist
- "We're back!". BRIT Awards. Retrieved 16 December 2019.
- "About the BPI". British Phonographic Industry (BPI). Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "BRIT Awards". British Phonographic Industry (BPI). Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "And the nominees are..." Brits.co.uk. British Phonographic Industry (BPI). Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "The BRITs 1977". Brits.co.uk. British Phonographic Industry (BPI). Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "The BRITs 1982". Brits.co.uk. British Phonographic Industry (BPI). Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "The BRITs 2003". Brits.co.uk. British Phonographic Industry (BPI). Retrieved 20 July 2014.